Saturday, August 31, 2013

TACKLING THE TACKY: OFFICE WINDOW UPDATE

The good news when we purchased 231 was that a former homeowner updated many of the windows in the house to double pane from the original 1955 single pane glass, the bad news was whoever stained them at that time did a pretty shoddy job. The stain must not have been mixed correctly when it was applied, resulting in windows that are sticky (literally tacky) to the touch.




The icky-sticky stain attracts dust and grime, and is hard to keep clean.


Also, the duncy DIYers that originally stained the windows must not have taped the channels where the windows slide up and down, resulting in oversprayed stain that looks downright scuzzy.


I had two options when it came to refinishing the windows: sand them down to bare wood and restain them correctly, or hit them with a couple coats of oil based primer, which would neutralized the sticky stain, but also cover up our wood grain.

I gave it some consideration, thinking about my dad who has always told me "it's a crime to paint over natural wood", but decided that in order to achieve the look I'm going for in the office it was time to break out the paint brush.


I started with a rag and some Goo Gone to clean the overspray on the window channels, then dusted the ledges that had accumulated quite a layer of grime over time. The next step was to sand everything lightly, removing the ages of dust and debris that had stuck to the stain, literally becoming part of the surface over time. I just love the smooth feel of freshly sanded wood, don't you.

After some light petting and a quick prayer of forgiveness to the natural wood gods, I taped up the channels and broke out the primer.


It took two coats of primer to get the windows prepped and ready for paint, and I was pleasantly surprised with how nicely the primer covered the sticky surfaces.

Due to some settling of the house over time there were some gaps between the window and the wall, and between the window and the frame. Since we painted the ENTIRE HOUSE less than a year ago upon moving in, I am no stranger to the caulk gun.



It only took little bit of paintable waterproof caulk and the windows were sealed.

By sealing the gaps we achieved multiple benefits. The windows look more polished, are more energy efficient, and there are no more spots for creepy crawly things to hide.


The trim and baseboards in our entire house are painted Swiss Coffee by Kelley Moore (another benefit of painting the ENTIRE HOUSE less than a year ago), so after everything was sealed and primed the windows got two coats of it in semi-gloss.


Above is a shot of the nearly finished window along with some paint samples on the wall. Usually, choosing a paint color is an agonizing process for me, but this time I knew the minute I put them up which color I was going to go with.

Last, I gave the wooden faux window panes a couple coats of spray primer and a coat of soft white, then clicked them back into place.


And here's what the office windows look like today!


These pics are a good sneak peek of the nearly finished office, and I am absolutely loving the navy and white combo that I was going for.


But I have a few more finishing touches before I'm ready to take the "after" pics of the office. The projects left to complete include hanging curtains (I'm using the same drapery pattern that you see in the picture above, and I can't wait to put them up), creating some fun art for the walls, and adding overhead lighting (which may take a little longer considering it will involve hiring an electrician).

With school back in session I have a space that I loooove to work in (even if it means I have less time to post here) and I am so excited to share the whole thing when it's finally complete.


Linking to: Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party (thanks for the feature!)

1 comment:

  1. Your window frame update looks amazing & I'm loving your wall color too! I'm featuring it in this week's PoPP Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete

UA-48302826-1